BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, October 26, 2009

A New Lease On Life

I'm back from visiting my grandparents and I seem to have brought a new lease on life back with me. My grandmother just turned 95, and my grandfather is not far behind at 93. While visiting I wondered how many other 30-somethings still have grandparents, let alone 2? They have been married for 72 years.


I thought of all that they have experienced and overcome in their lives. Certainly they had a lot of challenges, but they're still here. Their first child was conceived with little effort - but was born breach. Then there was a miscarriage. Then they were separated for 5 years while my grandfather was away for WWII. Then, like so many others, they had a baby after the war. And then nothing for nearly 10 years. Then they had a 3rd child, unexpectedly, 9 years after the 2nd child, and while my grandmother was 41.

Do I think they would have been unhappy if they had not had children? No. I think that my grandmother would have been everyone's favourite aunt and she would have been very happy.

I realized that for all that time they were most likely never charting, certainly not using OPKs or a fertility monitor, and were so busy living life that TTC never took over. I want my life back.

I'm young - so what if I'm in my mid 30s? 3 of my grandparents have reached 90 and the 4th was in her 80s when she passed. Based on that I'm barely middle aged! I'm no longer going to stop doing something that I enjoy simply because "I might be pregnant". Darn it, I used to have a really flat belly and it's going soft! I need to start going back to the gym - I want my flat belly back!

So here is my pledge:
  • I will no longer avoid buying new clothes in case I might be pregnant. Pregnant or infertile I still need to look good!
  • I will no longer avoid physical activity in case I might be pregnant.
  • If I'm craving sushi and I haven't seen a BFP - I'm eating it! (same goes for soft cheeses and wine)
  • I will not let my chart dictate my love life
  • I will not avoid planning a vacation
  • Regardless if Hubby and I ever have a child, we will be happy with our lives.

5 comments:

liberalgranolagirl said...

Wonderful attitude and I feel the same way! I will not stop eating sushi or soft cheeses :-p

womb for improvement said...

I've come to a very similar conclusion myself. I don't want to put my life on hold any longer.

PCOSChick said...

You know, I have all 4 of my grandparents still & I have never looked at it that way before-so THANK YOU! Great way of using such amazing people to bring you to a great pledge!

Chasing a Miracle said...

You give me inspiration to do the same, so many times this year i have not bought that dress, or those stilettos because i might only get to wear them once, i have slacked off on my training and diet, and i look at myself and feel like crap... NO MORE I say!
Thank you, thank for reminding me there is more to life then TTC :o)

Pregnant Yuppy said...

Thank you all for your comments. You all also give me strength!

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget