BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 2, 2009

October


Unless you live in a remote cave and are cut off from all modern methods of communication. You are most likely aware that October is breast cancer awareness month. A very noble cause, but one that I choose not to support. Let me explain why:

Cancer has certainly affected me. Like everyone else I have lost loved ones to this horrible disease (once called the plague of the 20th century). I do donate to cancer research, but not specifically to breast cancer research. Whoever was hired to be in charge of marketing for breast cancer has done an amazing job! No kidding, I am truly impressed. For what other cause can you buy a shopping bag or spatula and lend support?

And that is one reason that I choose not to support this cause. Why would I buy a pink kitchen mixer knowing that the actual researchers are hardly going to receive any money from my purchase? I'd much rather donate directly.

Being in the forefront with a great marketing campaign is great. Everyone knows you exist. But unfortunately other great causes get left behind. The actual #1 killer of women in North America is heart disease not breast cancer. But most do not know this.

I'm not going off on this rant to say not to donate to breast cancer. Absolutely not. If you are donating your hard earned money to any charitable organization that is awesome!

For me though October will always be Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. We don't have any special kitchen appliances that you can buy. All I ask is that everyone be aware of how common it is to lose a child or a pregnancy. I guarantee that you know of at least one person that has suffered a loss.

Treat us with respect. Talk about their loss. Remember them on Mother's Day. Don't pretend like it doesn't happen or assume that it won't happen to you. It can. I hope that it won't, but it can.


On October 15th, light a candle in memory of a lost child.


0 comments:

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget