BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Celebrities & Infertility



US weekly recently posted this article about Jennifer Lopez. In it she talks about how she would never have turned to IVF because: "Just because of the way I was raised. And I also believe in God and I have a lot of faith in that, so I just felt like you don't mess with things like that."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, but this artic
le annoyed me. Many believe that JLo received some sort of fertility treatments to conceive her twins, so why hide it? I think that infertility is still considered by so many to be a "taboo" topic. Heck, even I blog here anonymously.


Perhaps if more celebrities were open about their own fertility struggles then it would be easier for people like me to be open as well. Instead what we see is a horde of young celebrities getting pregnant without trying (do you hear me Ashlee Simpson - I'm talking about you - and you too Nicole Richie).

Knowing that Nicole Kidman had suffered a miscarriage kind of made me see her in a different light. Sure she's an actress, but now she was more of a person to me. She was real.

Courtney Cox has talked some about her infertility struggles too.

I think too often the media glamorizes the celebs so much that all we picture when we think of them is luxury cars, mansions, private jets, and vacations in Cabo. They're so far removed from our own lives that we don't see them as being people.

So to those celebs who have been open and honest with their fertility problems and treatments, I thank you!

Nicole, Courtney, Celine (Dion), and Gilda (Radner) - thank you!

Here are a couple of other articles that list some celebs with known fertility problems:

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I read that article about Jennifer lopez too. It made me sad that she said that. She had twins! If she had help she shouldn't be ashamed to admit it.

ttc4toolong said...

Its people like her that make infertile's feel like they are alone. I agree with Ashley, if she had help getting pregnant why not come out and just admit it?

Honey B. said...

Celebrities not admitting things like infertility treatment is just immature. Especially when its something obvious, like Star Jones' surgery?

liberalgranolagirl said...

Just another reason for me to loathe JLo.

Amanda said...

I never realized Nicole Kidman had a m/c! :o You're right about it making them seem more "human" & I too thank them for their honesty & stories of hope & encouragement. TFS those articles! :)

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget