BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Please Help



In January 2009 I was in Haiti for a day. We were on a cruise and one of the stops was in Haiti. We were on the opposite side of the island from Port Au Prince and I didn't get to experience a lot (actually any) of Haitian culture. But we did take a walking tour and our tour guide was really good at telling us about the history of the country.

I've also met several Haitians here in Canada. I attended a French Immersion school and we often had substitute teachers from Haiti.

I'm first to admit that I don't know a lot about Haiti and it's not high on my list of "must see" places. Even so, my heart goes out to those who have lost everything. Their homes, their families, their livelihood, etc.


The other night (coincidentally the night before the earthquake) I was reading about the devastation of the earthquake that hit Pakistan 2 years ago. The author said that aid was pouring in from around the world, but no one really took charge and organized it so that the people were getting the aid that they truly needed. Many of the far reaching villages that were isolated never received any aid. I hope that the people of Haiti get the aid that they need and that no one is left without.

The Canadian government is going to match all private donations. Here are some ways that you can help:

0 comments:

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget