BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, February 8, 2010

IVF Orientation Details

I'm sure that it is standard practice for most fertility clinics to hold an IVF (in-vitro fertilization) information session for potential patients. For the past 2 years I have been very active online following various message boards and blogs - so I figured that by now I know a lot about the procedure. Hubby wasn't very interested in attending either. But, this is the first step of the process so we had to go!


In my head I had pictured it in a small classroom with maybe 10 other couples there. Our clinic holds these sessions every 2 weeks so how big could it be? It turns out there was about 50 couples there and it was held in a lecture hall at the hospital. It reminded me a lot of being in university except that no one was really talking to each other!

The Doctor said that at least half of the attendees were from out of town. It turns out that our clinic has the highest pregnancy rates in all of Canada!

We heard first from the Doctor about the procedure itself and what would be involved and the costs. Then we heard from the pharmacist about the drugs and the side effects and the costs. Then we heard from the clinic counsellor - it turns out that infertility can be a stressful experience (really? No kidding? Why is this the first that I am hearing about that?).

The counsellor urged each of us to tell our friends and family so that they understand what it is that we are going through. Hubby did tell his parents (I may write about that later), mine are on vacation so I will wait to tell them (but I'm still hopeful that my IUI worked and I won't have to).

All in all the experience was okay. I didn't learn anything new, but Hubby did. I'm hopeful that if we have to go through this (and I'm still hoping that the IUI worked and we won't have to) that he will be patient with what I have to go through.

Now what? Now, we wait. At the start of each cycle I still need to call into the clinic's "period hotline". Hopefully we will move up the waiting list quickly. I'm still holding out hope that we won't have to use IVF. It's great that we live in a time where IVF is available, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my IUI worked!

1 comments:

Holly said...

highest pregnancy rates in the whole country! Wow that's gotta be reassuring! Still crossing my fingers that the IUI is a success though and you don't have to cross the IVF bridge

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget