BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 20, 2010

My 2 Cents



I need to talk about John Travolta and Kelly Preston and all of the speculation around whether or not she's pregnant.

The following statement was released by the 2 married actors:

"It's impossible to keep a secret ... especially one as wonderful as this. We want to be the first to share this great news with everyone that we are expecting a new addition to our family."

Am I the only one who doesn't read this to mean that she's pregnant? I know that at 47 it's not impossible for her to get pregnant, it's just not likely. I know that in this day and age, and with their high income levels, that they could easily have looked into ART (assisted reproductivetechnologies). But the wording of their announcement makes me suspect.

If she's pregnant why not simply say "Kelly's pregnant!" Their statement is so vague I don't know if she's pregnant, if they're adopting, if they hired a surrogate, or if they're getting a new dog!

If I'm wrong (and I've been wrong before - once or twice) I really hope that she is open and honest about any fertility treatments that they received. And at 47 - odds are that they would need some help.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm not happy for them and their "new addition", I totally am. Heck, I'm stocked for anyone when they get a kitten. I'm simply confused about their announcement.

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

malinda said...

i feel the same way... it is vague but yet the media has jumped all over it as though she is for sure pregnant.

Regardless of how they go about expanding their family it should just be accepted but of course that is not the case in the public eye or out of it. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds... I think one news program said she was due in November? Can't remember.

Alex said...

I really wish celebrities were more honest about how they reproduce. I don't understand the big stigma about ART - I really appreciate when people just are honest.

My MIL was talking to me last night about the potential of multiples. She kept saying that I can tell everyone that twins run in her family, so that will be an excuse for twins - if I have them. So stupid. Why would I lie???

Lisa said...

i, too, wish they would just tell the whole damn story and stop being so cryptic!

Waiting Lisa said...

I really hope they come out and talk about how they conceived. So many people who haven't experienced problems TTC have made comments like it's completely normal to conceive at 47. Uhm...hello? It's nearly impossible and it's very high risk. I wish that was talked about more. Celebrities get pregnant and don't talk about how and it perpetuates the myth. The whole thing bothered me for days.

47 is old to be getting pregnant and he is another 10 yrs older than her. To be honest, I would be REALLY HAPPY for them if they announced they were adopting an older child.

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget