BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Very Sad Father's Day

Please forgive me in advance for the absence of posts this week. My aunt passed away this morning. She was only 72 and it all happened rather suddenly.

Earlier this year she was to have a cyst removed from her ovary. Days before the surgery it burst, and the biopsy revealed that there were some cancer cells. As a precaution, because it had burst, she was to have 6 chemo treatments. The first 5 went really well (as well as chemo treatments can go). However at the 6th one her blood work showed some anomalies.

This past Thursday she had a CT scan that revealed a number of small tumors in her abdomen. The Doctor was not very optimistic and predicted that she only had months to live.

She had been in a lot of pain and I suspect that the diagnosis made her give up. On Saturday night she was admitted into palliative care and she passed away this morning.

I had begun to compose a letter to her in my mind remembering all the good times that we had had when I was young (I wanted to share them with her before she passed). However, although I had good intentions of mailing her the letter tomorrow, I never even got my thoughts transferred to paper.

My aunt was an infertile as well (she adopted her 2 kids). Unfortunately women who have never been pregnant often have higher rates of "girly" cancers (ovarian, uterine and cervical). Fortunately for those of us now we can take The Pill and and that will help to prevent some of these cancers. But I doubt that my aunt ever had that opportunity (or maybe didn't see the point).

Please, please do these things for me:
  • Tell your loved ones that you love them now. Remember together your shared memories before it's too late.
  • Go to your doctor for regular checks ups (including annual Pap smears). Don't be afraid to bring up anything that you may have a question about.
  • If you are unable to get pregnant (or if you are not ready) please ask your doctor about birth control as it may one day save your life.

8 comments:

BeEncouragedivf said...

So sorry for your loss...Hope you find some comfort in knowing she is no longer in pain and now she is in heaven watching over you.

PCOSChick said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I will be thinking of you & your family in this hard time

rebecca said...

So very sorry to hear of your loss, thinking of you & sending prayers your way!

Sweet Georgia said...

I am very sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

zengirl said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. In a way, it's good that she did not have to go through pro-longed suffering if her prognosis wasn't good. My father died rather quickly from cancer within 6 months of his diagnosis and I personally think that going quickly is much easier for him and the whole family to handle.

I'm sorry though that you never had a chance to tell her how you felt. You're right-we really should live our lives like it was the last day and let our loved ones know how much they mean to us. And thanks for the pap reminder. It's funny how easy it is to forget them even though you're seeing a fertility doctor every week!

Holly said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. thinking of you and your family <3

Alex said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Busted Kate said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget