BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Pregnant Yuppy No More

My long, hard journey through loss and infertility is finally over. Thank goodness my story has a happy ending. I can no longer call myself the "Pregnant Yuppy", for I am no longer pregnant (nor do I plan to become pregnant again). I still consider myself to be a yuppy though!


So let me get on with it. I've had a very busy week this past week - to say the least - and here is my story:

Throughout my pregnancy I was closely monitored, even though it was an easy pregnancy. First it was discovered that I had a low lying placenta, so that was monitored via ultrasound. Once that was no longer a concern they continued to monitor me every 2 weeks as Nathan was measuring small. For the past couple of weeks they also were concerned that the placenta was starting to tire out. At my ultrasound on Monday, December 6 they decided that I needed to be induced that week. The Perinatologist was going to call my maternity Dr. Before we even left the building my Drs. office called and I was booked to see them on Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning my doctor sent off the requisition for induction to the hospital. Jason and I went out for a late breakfast and planned to have at least a day or two until we heard from the hospital. We had barely finished eating when the hospital called and said to come in. And some think that our Healthcare system is slow!

*WARNING* There will be some talk about "girl parts" from here on out.

I was admitted to the hospital around 1 pm on Monday. My body was not ready for labour at all. My cervix was not dilated and was still in a posterior position. At 2:20 pm the medication Cervidil was inserted to hopefully start the process. At 4pm I was moved to a new room where we waited, and waited. The worst part of this day was that I got a roommate around 11pm and she was quite the snorer!

On Wednesday at 2:20 pm (24 hours later) they checked on my progress. It was minimal, around a fingertip dilated. The 2 options at this point were to replace the Cervidil with a new one, or to try a Foley Balloon Catheter (which I won't explain here). I'll be honest, neither sounded too appealing to me. The doctors felt that the balloon was the best option for me. At this point we are now in a procedure room, which at one time was a storage closet, waiting for a new room. Eventually they put me in another room (by now we were getting so impatient and tired). Jason went home for a while and came back after supper. We tried walking around the halls and going up and down the stairs to get the balloon to work. It didn't work.

Around 10 pm my own doctor came in to check on me. She was able to remove the balloon and said that it did help some. I was now dilated about 2cm. She said that as soon as a labour room comes available I will move (again) and they will start me on an Oxytocin drip.

By 11:30 I was in my private L&D room and the drip was inserted. One of the downsides to the drip is that I had to be on a fetal monitor the entire time, so I wasn't able to move around much. I did sleep some.

Which brings us to Thursday - are you getting sick of this yet? At 7 am I had maxed out on the dose of Oxytocin and no labour. My Dr. checked me again and felt that I was dilated enough to break the water - so she did. Not much happened at first. I even texted Jason and told him to bring me a coffee. He was planning to come around 9 am. By around 8:15 am I finally started to have contractions. By 9 am they were already pretty intense and only 2.5 minutes apart.

I got the epidural around 10 ish - I had put it off because I was afraid that it would slow down my labour. The Anesthesiologist was thankfully free and able to come right away. The whole process didn't take very long and the effects started right away. It was a wonderful feeling indeed! I do not understand why some women don't want an epidural - it's a wonderful thing!

By noon I was fully dilated but they made me wait to push as they were having some trouble keeping the baby on the monitor and they needed to monitor his heartbeat. Eventually they had to go with an internal monitor (poor guy). I think I only had to push 3 or 4 times before Nathan was born. Thanks to the epidural I didn't feel a thing! I didn't even believe them when they said that he was out! So they grabbed him and put him on my chest. He was so tiny, but he gripped my finger right away.

Here are the specifics:
Nathan John Michael
Born December 9, 2010
2477 grams (5 lbs, 7 oz)
49 cm long (19 inches)


Moments after birth:

About 2 days old:


Finally on our way home:

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Congratulations!! He's a beautiful baby!

wait, what? said...

Congratulations!

Busted Kate said...

My pregnancy buddy, I'm so glad to have gone on this journey with you... and shortly we'll be able to swap newborn tips too! I'm so so happy for you, and for Nathan for getting such great parents! He's beautiful, and you're amazing. Congratulations!!

Candidly_Andrea said...

Congrats girl! He's so handsome!

rebecca said...

OMG, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! So happy for you guys, what a beautiful baby and amazing Christmas gift!

Sweet Georgia said...

Congratulations! Welcome to the world Nathan! Sounds like it took a while to get things moving, but all's well that ends well!

Ana said...

Hey Kim,
I'm aogilvie from the TTCMA board. Congrats, congrats, congrats! He's beautiful. We're still working away on trying to start our family; you're an inspiration!
Love, Ana.

Alex said...

Congratulations! Welcome to this crazy world, Nathan - you have a wonderful mother!

womb for improvement said...

He is gorgeous. Congratulations. (And I like the sound of not feeling the birth!)

cowgirltn said...

Welcome to the world Nathan. Congratulations mom and dad!

heartincharge said...

Look at your baby! He's here and he's precious and he's yours! Congrats! Welcome Nathan.

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget