BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 24, 2011

Nathan is already outgrowing some of his clothes.  I don't know if I'm ready for that yet!

I've folded up all of his preemie and 5 lbs clothes and put them aside.  So now I'm faced with a dilemma: do I donate the clothes, try to sell them (since they were only worn for a couple of weeks), keep them in case of a miracle (we will not be doing IVF again so any future child will be a miracle), or keep my favourites and have them made into a quilt?

I like the idea of the quilt but I hate the idea of cutting up practically brand new clothing.  I guess I was raised in a "waste not, want not" kind of way.  How cool would it be to have a crib quilt made out of his clothes for when Nathan has a child of his own?  But children's clothing can be expensive so I feel guilty for thinking about it.


So what should I do?  I'm really asking (although I may not listen to your advice).  Should I:

  • Pack up the clothes and keep them, just in case?
  • Donate his clothes to charity?
  • Sell the clothes?
  • Keep my favourites and have a quilt made?


7 comments:

seussgirl said...

Hi, I came here from PCOSChick's retweet; I have (now 2.5 yo) 29w twins, who spent 8 weeks in the NICU. From that experience, I always recommend that parents with preemie clothes donate them to their local NICU! It was so great to not worry about clothes and laundry while the boys were in there, and all of the clothes were donations. I did keep a few of my favorites (perhaps to be made into a quilt later!), but donated the rest. Some newborn size, too, as not all babies in the NICU are tiny.
Just my 2 cents!

Anonymous said...

I would keep them for a few years, stored somewhere safe where they won't get damaged. I know several women who had IVF (sometimes multiple IVF prodcudures) and then conceived again without any IF treatments -- and many of them had sold/donated all the clothes, the cribs, the bouncy seats, etc., and had to start from scratch. It can't hurt to keep them for a few years, right? Then you can always donate/sell/quilt them at some point in the future.

That said, you really can't go wrong. All your options sound good to me! I'm just the cautious type.

Resplendentquetzal said...

I too had a hard time with the thought of cutting up the clothes. However, that being said I bravely did it with my son's clothes from his first year(He was 13 months when he came). I saved anything that was special and put it away for his children some day. The woman that made his quilt made it a twin size. Now at 5 years old it's one of his favorite blankets (trimmed in the colors of his nursery) and he often asks about or remembers snippets of the clothes.

Trinity said...

The wistful and sentimental person in me *loves* the idea of a quilt. What a priceless treasure that would be... BUT the practical person in me (speaking as a NICU social worker, professionally) really appreciates the idea of donating these to the NICU. I often get bundles of preemie clothing from the parents of our NICU graduates, and I never have any problem finding a baby/family who needs them.

Perhaps save some for a quilt (especially if you save pieces from all throughout his babyhood/childhood) and donate the others?

Holly said...

I agree that all of your options are good ones. The quilt struck me most though since he is your miracle babe and it would be a wonderful keepsake for him. Donation to the NICU would be the other great option IMO. I always feel so good to give to others and it would keep you from cutting up good condition clothes like you said. Good luck with whatever you decide!

seussgirl said...

Me again. :)
I had one more thought for you; I recently started a quilt from all of my boys' cloth bibs! I found they were easier to cut up than their clothes. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're ready to give them away (or cut them up) just yet. I'd store them for a bit. I've kept the going home outfit for each baby and then maybe a couple of favourite newborn outfits that feel sentimental to me. I've given the rest away. But you can keep them for a while, then make a decision later to give them away or to make that quilt! That's my 2 cents worth ;).
Lenore

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget