BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 18, 2011

I Think I've Been Starving My Child!

When Nathan was first born we supplemented his diet with formula.  My breastmilk was taking its sweet time to come in.  I was induced 2 weeks early because they were concerned for his small size, so we needed to feed this boy!  I think we supplemented him for about 2 weeks and then that was it.  He was nursing well and seemed satisfied, and he's been exclusively breastfed ever since.

I started him on solids at 4 months and now he's up to 3 meals of solids a day.  Plus, I still breastfeed him on demand.  He's a happy baby and rarely complains.  But he's still small.  He's at the bottom of the charts for weight.  I haven't been too concerned about it because he is so happy and he is meeting all of the developmental milestones.

So fast forward to August.  I have been toying with the idea of weaning him in September.  Whether I want to face it or not, I will probably have to go back to work when my maternity leave is up (come on lottery!).  So I started to mix his oatmeal with formula to get him used to the taste.  No dice - he would not eat it!  This boy does not like formula.

But Nathan loves water.  More specifically, Nathan loves to drink water out of his cup with a straw.  So I mixed a very watered down formula in there, and he started to drink it.  I slowly brought the concentration up and no problems.  The other day I mixed him a bottle of formula and he guzzled it down.

So this morning he wakes up at the un-godly hour of 6:30 am. I went into his room and nursed him and, since he was still awake but I wasn't, I brought him back to our bed.  After letting play for a bit, I nursed him again hoping he would go back to sleep.  After it was clear that he would not, I relented and we got up.  

In the kitchen I made him his oatmeal and added some pears (his favourite food).  He only ate a couple of bites, which was strange.  After a while I decided to try some formula.  As soon as he saw me grab the bottle he got really excited.  So basically within an hour of waking and 2 nursing sessions, my son drank an additional 4 ounces of formula.

So now I feel bad.  Since he never really complained about being hungry I assumed that he was happy.  Now I wonder if he ever truly felt full?  Or maybe my milk supply has dropped recently?  Either way it looks like he will be weaned by September.  Hopefully he'll put on a bit of weight too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick tip from my experience, wean very slowly to prevent hormones from going too outta whack and getting that sad "baby blues" feeling which can make weaning difficult on you. I thought it was just a matter of avoiding engorgement, but there are effects on your emotions. Also, pumping even just once at work keeps my supply high enough to be able to breastfeed in the AM before I leave, then in the PM immediately when coming home, and then at bed time. When I returned to work with pumping it made me feel connected with Teagan (7 months old now) during my day, made the transition easier, and I feel like I am doing the best that I can for us. Also increased our snuggle time to account for less nursing sessions (for her and me!). Hope this helps you or others!

Alex said...

I definitely don't think you have been starving your child! Oh the guilt that comes ith mommyhood... Good luck with the transition, especially back to work - I know that will be tough!

Three Cats and a Baby said...

I think it's normal to worry about this stuff...trust me I have had my moments like that over multiple things...but really you are doing an amazing job. And like you said, he's meeting all his developmental milestones and you would know if he wasn't happy. Babies are not quiet about their unhappiness :)

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget