BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Homemade Detergent

Thanks to Pinterest several of the moms in my Playgroup have made their own laundry soap. Ever since then they have been raving about it.

I wanted to try it for myself, but alas, one of the main ingredients is not available in Canada. Every recipe that I could find online called for Fels Naptha brand laundry bar soap. After much searching I found that you can also use Sunlight bar soap, which is available in Canada, but I could not find any information on whether it was safe to use on cloth diapers,

So I ordered some online and had it delivered to my brother's house. They were coming for a visit and were able to bring it to me.

So here are the ingredients: Borax, washing soda, and Fels Naptha soap.




I grated one bar of soap:



One of my mom friends then puts it into her food processor to break it down into smaller pieces. You could also use a blender or a Magic Bullet.

To the grated soap I added 1 cup each of washing soda and Borax. You can also add baking soda, but I am out.

Here it is:




It kind of looks like grated cheddar in flour - smells better though.

But does it work? My first test was a cloth diaper load. With only a tablespoon of my detergent, they came out clean, white, and fresh. So I guess it works!




As for cost savings, you won't really see any on the first or second batch. But the good news is that my boxes of Borax and washing soda are still nearly full. It will be a very long time before they run out.

- Posted from my iPhone

1 comments:

honeypumpkin said...

Do you guys have Ivory soap in Canada? if so, that's what we use. It works great. we've been using that formula (Borax, A&H Washing Soda, Ivory) for 9 months now and all my skin irritations have gone away. I'm excited to see how it works on a cloth diaper load, as I'm due in November.

My Chart

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget